FREDERICK J. MATTHEWS
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
A significant proportion of Fred's practice has been based upon the maintenance of long term relationships with commercial clients providing general commercial counsel particularly related to potential or actual disputes and representation in the prosecution and defense of any claims before relevant courts or tribunals.
Fred was called to the Bar in 1971. His initial entry into practice was as commercial litigation junior to the late Honorable Willard Z. Estey, Q.C., at the then firm of Robertson, Lane, Perrett, Frankish and Estey.
Fred continued in private practice and was a founding member of the firm of Christie, Saccucci, Matthews established in 1978.
Fred has an active participatory interest in competitive sports including ski racing, soccer and tennis, and, time permitting, is an active amateur woodworker and builder.
Fred recently retired after serving for 6 years on the Board of Directors of the Friends of Killarney Park and remains involved in volunteer committee work in a number of clubs and organizations .
Areas of Practice
- Construction Law and Construction Disputes
- Civil Litigation - Commercial Disputes
- Commercial Leasing
- General Commercial Claims and Disputes
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Construction Law
- Ontario, 1971
- Queen's University, Faculty of Law, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- LL.B. - 1969
- Mount Allison University, Sackville, Canada
- Major: Physics
Honours and Awards
- Queen's Law Torts Prize
Pro Bono Activities
- St. Mary of Refuge Inc, 2006
- Marian Govan Power of Attorney
- Power of Attorney & Estate Trustee Duties
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Toronto Construction Association
- Ontario General Contractors Association